Spud Spikes for baking, grilling, and barbequing.

Replacing tub spout

QuestionMy problem is with the "switchover" knob on my bathtub spout (so the water comes out of the showerhead instead of running into the bathtub). The trouble is that an equal amount of water comes out of the showerhead and the tub spout at the same time. Do you think the stem needs tightening on this knob? Or do I need a whole new knob? Help!

AnswerNormally if a two-handled faucet is used for a tub and shower combination, then the tub spout has a diverter handle on it.

The diverter handle is the rod that you pull up to divert water from the tub spout to the showerhead. When the diverter rod is lifted, the bulk of the water should flow from the showerhead. If you lift the rod and still have a substantial flow of water from the tub spout, as you indicate, then you need a new gate diverter. This requires that you replace the existing tub spout with a new one.

To replace the tub spout, first check under the spout for a small access slot near the wall that indicates that the spout is held in place with an Allen screw. If so, use an Allen wrench to loosen the screw and slide the spout off the pipe. If there's no access slot, unscrew the spout itself. Insert a large screwdriver into the mouth of the spout and turn counterclockwise.

Now take the spout to your home center or hardware store and purchase a new one. When installing a new spout with threads, be sure to spread pipe joint compound on the threads of the spout nipple or use pipe thread seal tape on the spout supply line threads coming out from the wall.

Copyright © 2001, 2005, & 2006 LAF/C.R.S., Inc. All rights reserved.
Question answered by Leon A. Frechette.

[ Back to Top ]


C.R.S., Inc. · Spokane, Washington · USA

Copyright © 1998-2021 by C.R.S., Inc. and asktooltalk.com

AskToolTalk.com Tools and Articles